Wednesday, June 7, 2006

wwhen the beat drops, i just can't help myself

One of my favorite parts of my new-found city girlhood is putting on my I-Pod, making the little-less-than-a-mile trek down to the metro, and catching the metro down to my barbri class. The walk is really a great way to start the day, not to mention really good exercise.

There's only one small problem. Anyone who knows me knows that I looooove to dance. At the club, at the bar, in my room, in the car...wherever there is a good beat. So, as you can imagine, I have an extremely difficult time containing myself when my little I-Pod Shuffle picks something really good for me.

Example - sitting on the metro, and all of the sudden "Vivrant Thang" by Q-Tip comes on. It's all I can do to prevent myself from jumping up, grabbing one of those poles that people hang on to when there's no place to sit, and twerking it all over the metro. Or, walking down F Street and "It's Goin' Down" by Young Joc starts playing. I'm able to contain myself somewhat, but if one were to observe me very closely, he or she would notice that one shoulder shrugs ever so slightly three times, and then the other.

I mean, even my rock jams get me going. I have to lip sing Led Zep's "The Ocean" when it comes on, because belting out "Used to sing to the mountains/But the mountains washed away," in that high-pitched Robert Plant voice on the metro may make me look a little crazy. However, just yesterday, walking up 7th, I couldn't help myself. I didn't think anyone was around, so I busted out with "Biggie Biggie Smalls is the illest!" To my dismay, I looked behind me and there was a yuppie looking dude looking at me like I had lost it.

And nothing's better than standing on the metro escalator, ascending back into the world, with Dave Matthews telling me that "When I step into the light, my arms are open wide."
Being a city girl is so great.

No comments: