Sunday, July 9, 2006

bedtime stories

Yesterday, after a month and a half of sleeping on a deflated air mattress on the floor, I finally purchased a bed. A big beautiful queen sized one with a soft pink comforter. I had been sleeping on the deflated air mattress because when I left Gainesville, I also left behind the most uncomfortable futon that ever hit the face of the planet. I bought it from my college roommate because my apartment in law school was more of a studio and my living room, bed room, and guest room was one room. Therefore, a futon instead of a bed seemed natural. The mattress on that piece of shit must have weighed 150 pounds and felt like nothing more than a slab of concreted under my ass. Moreover, on the evening of the infamous Levin High Barrister's Ball of 2005, I tried to step over Missmo in order to get to the other side of her as she lied in it. I stepped on foot on it and the thing snapped in half. So then from April 2005 to May 2006, I was sleeping in a futon with a slab of cement for a mattress and which caved in the middle. When I moved, I donated it to the homeless shelter and actually feel a little guilty about it.

So when I got up to the beautiful District of Columbia, I had no bed. I figured that my sugarmama Sallie Mae was gonna send me some money with a quickness so I just borrowed Missmo's air mattress. I slept on it inflated one night and woke up with a kink in my neck which required me to twist my whole body in the direction in which I needed to look. It was much better deflated, except that at that time, Dougie decided that his soft, cushiony dog bed wasn't good enough for him and he was going to comadeer the deflated mattress. This meant that I had to add brushing the dog hair off the deflated mattress to my nightime routine, which also meant that no matter how hard I tried, I'd still be sleeping in dog hair.

Ol Sallie Mae finally came through last week, and yesterday Jane and I ventured to what might be the biggest IKEA store in the world and purchased my big beautiful queen sized bed with the soft pink comforter. I was kind of putting off because my car died last week and I have this other thing called the bar exam coming up and I couldn't really handle any other big events, but the embarassment of having my house guest on Friday night sleep on the floor in a pile of dog hair and a shirt for a pillowcase forced me to do something about my situation on Saturday morning. And now I'm glad. Because now I have a big beautiful queen sized bed with a soft pink comforter. Every time I walk in my room, it beckons me. It says "Hey...look at me. Look at my big, comfortable horizontal surface. Look at my pretty, pink, soft comforter. You wanna lie on me, don't you? Go ahead. Do it." Napping has never been better, and studying Torts has never been more neglected.

No comments: