Wednesday, September 27, 2006

everybody reach up for the ho-zone layer

Missmo and I are having a "ho war." That's when everything we say ends in "ho." Like, "Oh my God, you and Geoff will be here tomorrow, ho." Or "You like getting text messages at 3 a.m. on a Tuesday night that say 'Are you still awake?', ho." Or "I don't care that you have to work seven days a week. We're going dancing until 3 in the morning on Friday so stop being lame, ho."
In honor of the current ho war, I'm gonna post this actual footnote from an actual case out of California. I so wish that I was the clerk who got to write this footnote. It is my very favorite piece of legal writing EVER. It's just absolutely genius.
___________
Footnote 1 from U.S. v. Murphy, 406 F.3d 857:
The trial transcript quotes Ms. Hayden as saying Murphy called her a snitch bitch "hoe." A "hoe," of course, is a tool used for weeding and gardening. We think the court reporter, unfamiliar with rap music (perhaps thankfully so), misunderstood Hayden's response. We have taken the liberty of changing "hoe" to "ho," a staple of rap music vernacular as, for example, when Ludacris raps "You doin' ho activities with ho tendencies."
__________
Everyone have a happy ho day.

No comments: